Miss Wabasha Pageant
Riverboat Days is just around the corner. This year, we are proud to announce that the Miss Wabasha pageant will be a scholarship pageant! We are looking for a brand new “Miss Wabasha” and you just might be the right person for the job. We are inviting girls entering 8-11 grade in the fall of 2018 to join in our quest. To be eligible this girl must have a Wabasha address or her parents must be members of the Wabasha-Kellogg Chamber of Commerce. The candidates will be judged on a short essay, academic achievements, community involvement/extracurricular activities and an interview.
You gaining the title of “Miss Wabasha” would offer a wonderful opportunity to build your resume for future entrance into a college or a job. This title means you have been chosen because you are an asset to our community; you have proven yourself to be a leader and an outstanding citizen. You will also have the opportunity to meet new friends and enjoy new experiences and scholarships for your future.
As your new reign as Miss Wabasha Royalty, you will be appear in the Riverboat Days parade on July 28th at 6:00pm, be an ambassador to Wabasha at other parades and events in our area and attend Chamber sponsored events.
First, you will need a sponsor. The sponsor pays the $100 entry fee.
Second , you must fill out an application form and write an essay about a selected topic. You can pick an application up at the Chamber office or print one off the Riverboat Days website www.wabashamn.org/riverboat-days .
Thirdly, return your application and money to the Chamber office by Monday July 2nd, 2018. You can return it by mail or dropping it off to:
Wabasha Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 105
137 Main Street
Wabasha, MN 55981
The Miss Wabasha Royalty is chosen based upon a short essay of 200-300 words on What makes Wabasha unique?, on your academics, extracurricular activities/community involvement and an interview. A panel of judges will review all participant applications and essays; they will conduct one-on-one interviews and choose the royalty. Miss Congeniality will be voted on by the other contestants.
Essays will be judged based upon originality, grammar, punctuation, organization, flow and content.
Monday, July 2, 2018
All participants will be interviewed by a panel of judges on Friday, July 27th. The participants, their families, and their sponsors are invited to a luncheon at the VFW, sponsored by the American Legion Auxiliary. Contestants will have a break to prepare for the coronation at 5:00 at Heritage Park under the Bridge. After coronation the new royalty and contestants will participate in a photo shoot.
Important details you and your parents might want to know- at a glance:
- Deadline for applications and essays are Monday, July 2nd , 2018. Applications are at the Chamber website or chamber office. The application, essay and $100 sponsorship must be turned in by the deadline to be eligible.
- The Contestants must be available on Sunday July 8th at 6:00 p.m. for contestant and parent meeting. We will also be doing our group photo at this time.
- The contestant must be available on Friday, July 27th and Saturday, July 28th all day. Friday for the interviews, luncheon, coronation and photoshoot. Saturday for the Riverboat Days Activities, Queen’s Tea and Riverboat Days parade.
- If crowned Miss Wabasha Royalty you must commit to 3 parades and 3 chamber events during your one year reign. The families of the royalty are responsible for getting the royalty and the float to the parades. The Chamber will help you register for the parades.
- The contestant will need a formal dress for coronation. Remember, you do not have to buy a new one; it can be used, borrowed, etc.
- Attire for interviews is business casual but select an outfit that represents YOU (the contestant).
Contact the Chamber of Commerce at 651.565.4158 if you have any questions.